This program has been pre-approved by The Commission for Case Manager Certification to provide continuing education credit to CCM® board certified case managers. Activity code: H00024759. Approval Number: 160005218.
- Contact hours:
- Pharmacotherapy hours: 0
- Expiration date: November 1, 2018
- Course price: $39
This course provides readers with the knowledge, skills, techniques, and strategies to care on a daily basis for family members and residents who have Alzheimer’s disease or a related type of dementia, whether in the home, adult day care, or in an institutional setting such as a nursing home.
ATrain Education, Inc. is an approved provider by the American Occupational Therapy Association. The following course information applies to occupational therapy professionals:
- Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, OTAs
- Instructional Level: Intermediate
- Content Focus: Category 1—Domain of OT, Client Factors
Criteria for Successful Completion
80% or higher on the post test, a completed evaluation form, and payment where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
Conflict of Interest/Commercial Support
Objectives: When you finish this course you will be able to:
- Describe three differences between Alzheimer’s dementia and non-Alzheimer’s dementia.
- State the three National Institute on Aging and the Alzheimer's Association stages of dementia.
- Identify three barriers that may contribute to a missed or delayed diagnosis of dementia.
- In terms of onset, cause, and duration, distinguish among dementia, delirium, and depression.
- List three common behavioral and psychological symptoms of dementia.
- Identify five other common behaviors often attributed to dementia.
- Explain the action of the two main classes of medications prescribed for Alzheimer’s disease.
- State three ways in which dementia affects a person’s ability to complete activities of daily living.
- Describe three ways in which exercise appears to positively impact in people with dementia.
- Relate the three components that should be part of any activities program for anyone with dementia.
- Discuss three ways in which stress can affect a caregiver’s quality of life.