- Contact hours:
- Pharmacotherapy hours: 0
- Expiration date: March 1, 2020
- Course price: $25
The scope of domestic violence includes violence against women, children, and elders. This course describes best practices for screening, assessment, and documenting signs of violence when seen in the healthcare setting. Outlines Kentucky reporting requirements and discusses state programs to reduce incidence.
ATrain Education, Inc. is an approved provider by the American Occupational Therapy Association. The following course information applies to occupational therapy professionals:
- Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, OTAs
- Instructional Level: Intermediate
- Content Focus: Category 1—Domain of OT, Client Factors
Category 2—Occupational Therapy Process, Outcomes
Criteria for Successful Completion
80% or higher on the post test, a completed evaluation form, and payment where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
Conflict of Interest/Commercial Support
Objectives: When you finish this course you will be able to:
- Define and explain intimate partner violence.
- Describe the scope of domestic violence in the United States and in Kentucky.
- List the four main categories of domestic violence.
- Explain the prevalence of violence against women and how it relates to domestic violence.
- Show the significance of the co-occurrence of child maltreatment and domestic violence.
- Identify the relationship of elder abuse to domestic violence.
- Spell out the risks of intimate partner violence as well as the protective factors.
- Describe special considerations in rural domestic violence.
- Discuss the economic and societal costs of domestic violence.
- Explain the consequences of domestic violence.
- Outline screening and assessment of domestic violence in the healthcare setting.
- Tell how to document incidents of domestic violence.
- Summarize Kentucky legislation relating to domestic violence, including reporting requirements for healthcare professionals.
- Discuss goals for prevention and education program research.