For mail order or to view/download a printable copy of this course, please click here.
This course addresses the healthcare challenges of today’s returning Veterans and describes the resources available to them. It explains the importance of screening for military service by health professionals when seeing a patient for the first time. Following a discussion of the health conditions seen in Veterans, it explains the principles of rehabilitation and reintegration that underlie their focused care.
Nurses, nurse practitioners, advanced practice nurses, physical therapists, physical therapy assistants, occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants*.
*If you are an OT or OTA, you may need the following information for relicensure:
ATrain Education is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Approved provider #6558. This distance learning-independent is offered at 0.4 CEUs, introductory, Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Criteria for Successful Completion
Study the course material, achieve a score of 80% or higher on the post test (the post test can be repeated if a learner scores less than 80%), complete the course evaluation, and pay where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
Conflict of Interest/Commercial Support Disclosure
The planners and authors of this learning activity have declared no conflicts of interest, vested interest, or financial relationship that may influence the content of this activity. All information is provided fairly and without bias.
ATrain Education, Inc. received no outside financial or commercial support in the preparation, presentation or implementation of this learning activity and has no affiliation with any company whose products or services are mentioned in this activity.
When you finish this course you will be able to*:
- Describe veterans’ healthcare challenges and identify how to find the locations of VA health centers in the nation.
- Recount 4 ways that veterans can access community-centered healthcare if they cannot use a VA health center.
- Explain the importance of screening for military service, veteran status, or being a family member of a veteran.
- Discuss posttraumatic stress disorder, suicide risk, depression, grief, substance abuse, and intimate partner violence and explain how each may arise in military veterans and their families.
- Name 3 ways that providers can receive additional education or training to assist them in serving veterans and their families.
- Explain the principles of rehabilitation and reintegration and list 3 ways you can make appropriate referrals.
*Please note: attainment of course objectives will be assessed in the course evaluation.