Contact hours: 1
Pharmacotherapy hours: 1
Expiration date: March 1, 2024
Course price: $10
As a condition of biennial license renewal, all registered professional nurses and all licensed practical nurses in New Jersey must complete one contact hour of continuing education covering abuse of opioids, management and treatment of pain—including responsible prescribing practices—and diversion of controlled substances.
This course offers evidence-based information about the problem of prescription drug abuse and misuse, alternatives to opioids for managing and treating pain, best practices for prescribing controlled substances, and drug diversion and safeguards to prevent diversion.
Criteria for Successful Completion
Study the course material, achieve a score of 80% or higher on the post test (the post test can be repeated if a learner scores less than 80%), complete the course evaluation, and pay where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
When you finish this course you will be able to:
- State 4 factors that have contributed to the opioid crisis.
- Relate the three classes of most-abused prescription drugs.
- Describe the difference between tolerance, dependence, and addiction.
- State the 3 main guidelines NJ providers must follow when prescribing controlled dangerous substances, including opioids in any schedule.
- List 5 complementary alternatives to opioids for pain management.
- Relate the 5 most common sources of illicit drugs.