Infection Control and Prevention
- Contact hours:
- Pharmacotherapy hours: 2
- Expiration date: July 1, 2015
- Course price: $29
Infection control training for healthcare professionals, including responsibility for adhering to accepted principles and monitoring the performance of all for whom one is responsible. Reviews the mechanisms of transmission along with strategies of prevention and control. Coverage of controls, PPE, and practices to protect both workers and healthcare settings.
ATrain Education, Inc. is an approved provider by the American Occupational Therapy Association. The following course information applies to occupational therapy professionals:
- Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, OTAs
- Instructional Level: Intermediate
- Content Focus: Category 1—Domain of OT, Client Factors
Criteria for Successful Completion
80% or higher on the post test, a completed evaluation form, and payment where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
Conflict of Interest/Commercial Support
Objectives: When you finish this course you will be able to:
- Summarize the most prevalent risk factors for healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) and their related sites of infection.
- Identify and explain six essential elements of infection control.
- Recall and explain each of the six links in the Chain of Infection.
- Describe prevention strategies in terms of Standard and Universal Precautions, Transmission-Based Precautions, Contact Precautions, Droplet Precautions, and Airborne Precautions.
- Explain the importance and proper practice of hand hygiene for preventing HAIs.
- Discuss safe injection practices and sharps disposal as they relate to patient and worker health.
- Outline the use of engineering and work practice controls to reduce the opportunity for exposure to potentially infectious material (PIM).
- Demonstrate the selection and use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Define the principles and practices for cleaning, disinfection, and sterilization.
- Spell out guidelines for post exposure prophylaxis.