For mail order or to view/download a printable copy of this course, please click here
Marian McDonald, RN, MSN,
Former Certified Infection Control Nurse
Susan Walters Schmid, PhD
Contact hours: 5
Expiration date: November 1, 2023
Course price: $29
Healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) are among the most common adverse events in healthcare. In addition to the personal consequences for patients, families, and professionals, HAIs add to the skyrocketing costs of the nation’s healthcare system. Given the current COVID-19 pandemic, it makes sense to review the tried and true rules for infection control. For specific information about the pandemic, please see ATrain Education, “COVID-19: The Novel Coronavirus” on this website.
This course presents general infection control training for healthcare professionals, including responsibility for adhering to accepted principles and monitoring the performance of all for whom one is responsible. The course reviews the chain of infection, mechanisms of transmission, controls, PPE, and practices to protect both patients and workers.
The following course information applies to occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants:
- Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, OTAs
- Instructional Level: Introductory
- Content Focus: Category 1—Domain of OT, Client Factors
Category 2—Occupational Therapy Process, Outcomes
Criteria for Successful Completion
Study the course material, achieve a score of 80% or higher on the post test (the post test can be repeated if a learner scores less than 80%), complete the course evaluation, and pay where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
To find specific accreditations or approvals, click here.
When you finish this course you will be able to:
- State 4 types of infection that represent 25% of all HAIs.
- Explain each of the 6 links in the Chain of Infection.
- Identify 6 of the essential Elements of Infection Control.
- Define 2 terms: benchmarks and zero tolerance.
- Explain “My 5 Moments for Hand Hygiene.”
- Identify 2 types of vials requiring safe injection practices as they relate to patient and worker health.
- Describe the necessity for at least 4 types of PPE.
- Name at least 3 elements of environmental control.
- Relate the 5 post exposure services available to you as a healthcare worker.
- State 4 classic signs and symptoms of sepsis.