Source: CDC, 2020.
Author: JoAnn O’Toole, RN, BSN
Contact hours: 2
Expiration date: December 31, 2020
Course price: $10*
*This course is free. Please use code COV19 on payment page to bypass payment.
Note: CDC recently reported that COVID-19 appears to have a similar rate of spread and similar case-fatality rate when compared to the 1918-19 Spanish flu pandemic. To learn more about influenza, viruses in general, and the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic in particular, we invite you to view our Flu 2020 course.
The appearance of the novel COVID-19 virus in Wuhan, China made international headlines around the globe. This course presents those first few months when the virus began to appear in other nations and talk of a potential pandemic arose. Through illustrations and discussion we present the new virus (initially called 2019-nCoV) and how it has burst upon the scene. Upcoming events will be covered in quotes at the outset of the course.
- Target Audience: Occupational Therapists, OTAs
- Instructional Level: Introductory
- Content Focus: Category 1—Domain of OT, Client Factors
Criteria for Successful Completion
A score of 80% or higher on the post test, a completed evaluation form, and payment where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
- Discuss the origin of COVID-19.
- Discuss 3 ways in which COVID-19 spreads.
- Identify 6 symptoms of COVID-19 infection.
- Discuss the 6 public health measures used to stop the SARS outbreak.
- Describe 3 preventive measures undertaken by the U.S. in the weeks following the outbreak.
- Identify 4 ways healthcare personnel can protect themselves and others from exposure to the virus.
- Explain how COVID-19 may become a pandemic.