For mail order or to view/download a printable copy of this course, please click here.
JoAnn O’Toole, RN, BSN
Lauren Robertson, BA, MPT
Susan Walters Schmid, PhD
Contact hours: 10
AOTA CEUs: 1.0
Expiration date: August 1, 2024
Course price: $59
This 10 contact hour course provides a thorough overview of the effects of aging and appropriate responses to the issues arising from advancing age. It discusses healthy aging, models of care, and legislation that supports older adults. It provides information about how our bodies age, risks associated with falls and orthopedic injuries, and describes the different types of dementia and its effects on families and caregivers. It concludes with a description of the different kinds of elder abuse and examines end-of-life issues.
Nurses, nurse practitioners, advanced practice nurses, physical therapists, physical therapy assistants, occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants*.
ATrain Education is an AOTA Approved Provider of professional development. Approved provider #6558. This distance learning-independent is offered at 1.0 CEUs, introductory, Foundational Knowledge. The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Criteria for Successful Completion
Study the course material, achieve a score of 80% or higher on the post test (the post test can be repeated if a learner scores less than 80%), complete the course evaluation, and pay where required. No partial credit will be awarded.
Conflict of Interest/Commercial Support Disclosure
The planners and authors of this learning activity have declared no conflicts of interest, vested interest, or financial relationship that may influence the content of this activity. All information is provided fairly and without bias.
ATrain Education, Inc. received no outside financial or commercial support in the preparation, presentation or implementation of this learning activity and has no affiliation with any company whose products or services are mentioned in this activity.
When you finish this course you will be able to*:
- Explain 2 ways in which ageism impacts healthy aging.
- Identify the health disparities of 4 ethnic groups of older Americans.
- Name 3 pieces of critical legislation in support of the elder population.
- Summarize 4 models of elder care.
- Summarize age-related changes for 5 of the body systems.
- Explain 3 types of dementia.
- Name 3 components of a health assessment for an older adult.
- Identify 5 risks for falls and how they can be prevented.
- List 3 ways of preventing inadvertent polypharmacy and drug misuse in elders.
- State 8 tips for preventing elder abuse.
- Examine 2 end-of-life care options related to advance directives.
- Describe 4 obstacles to optimal caregiving in older adults’ lives.
*Please note: attainment of course objectives will be assessed in the course evaluation.